After satisfactory completion of the Wilderness LifeGuard program, participants can take this additional three-day training to become an Instructor candidate of the program. Apprenticeships follow, before the Instructor candidates are able to offer these programs on their own under the auspices of the Starfish Aquatics Institute. Contact our office for more information and updated course availability.
- Minimum twenty-one years of age
- Successful completion of Wilderness LifeGuard program
- Current certification in Wilderness First Aid or higher and current certification in adult level CPR or higher (WFR preferred)
Backcountry guides, canoe trip leaders, camp counselors, private expedition groups, college/university outdoor education programs, hiking club trip leaders, wilderness therapeutic programs, and adventure race safety personnel.
4 year SAI Wilderness LifeGuard Instructor Certification.
- Successful practical skills assessment required.
- This nationally delivered curriculum meets or exceeds the lifeguarding guidelines and water safety training of the American Camp Association (ACA).
Textbook/ Handbook: (2010). SAI Wilderness Lifeguard Instructor Manual: Best practices for outdoor recreation professionals. Champaign, IL.