Frequently Asked Questions
MY COURSE IS AT ONE OF THE LANDMARK CAMPUSES. WHEN CAN I ARRIVE? WHEN CAN I LEAVE?
- If you are staying on site for your course you may arrive either the day prior from 12-9PM for your health screening. If you arrive after 9PM you will need to make alternative arrangements.
- If you are commuting or don’t arrive by 9PM the day prior, you can plan to arrive by 7:45AM for your daily health screening.
- The course closes at 5:00pm on the last day of the course, so plan to stay until 5:00pm until all course duties are complete. Landmark will be closed after the course and lodging will not be available on campus.
WHAT SIZE TENT CAN I BRING?
- Please bring at maximum a two person tent. This helps ensure that there will be plenty of space in tent city for everyone.
HOW DO I GET TO LANDMARK LEARNING?
- Directions to our campuses are specific, please follow the directions! Often times using a GPS will take you up the opposite end of Cane Creek and the road is impassable.
- Please see our Directions page. You can also print a pdf version.
CAN I BRING AN RV/CAMPING TRAILER/TRAILERED MOTORCYCLE OR ATV TO LANDMARK?
- Our parking area doesn’t provide adequate space or facilities for RV’s and Trailers.
- Electric hookup is not available for folks camping in their vehicles.
- We also ask that you bring only one personal vehicle, no trailered motorcycles or ATVs.
HOW DO I ARRANGE FOR A SHUTTLE PICK UP TO LANDMARK FOR A COURSE AT ONE OF LANDMARK’S CAMPUSES?
- If you are flying in and would like a shuttle to Landmark, we provide the contact info for a couple of driver services in Asheville. Or, give us permission to email your contact info to the folks on the class roster – often, a fellow student is willing to give a lift and share on gas.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR A COURSE?
- Go to the course calendar. Click on the course you want to register for, and the registration info will be available.
- Often you will see a “Register Now” button under the course name. If the course is administered by our office it will take you to our ACTIVE platform. Create a free account, register for your course, read and sign the enrollment agreement (with cancellation/refund policies) and pay your deposit. You will receive a confirmation email with a link to sign back into your ACTIVE account to complete prerequisites and finalize balances due.
- If there is no “Register Now” button, contact the course sponsor via the provided phone or email to inquire about course availability and registration procedures.
WHEN DO I NEED TO REGISTER FOR A COURSE?
- Courses fill up very quickly and often times have a wait list, the sooner you register the better your chances are to attend the course you want! We recommend registering at least 30 days before the course starts.
WHAT IS THE REFUND/ CANCELLATION POLICY?
- A 25% course deposit is due to hold your spot in a course – it is non-refundable and non-transferrable upon payment. Your balance is due at 30 days, and is refundable or transferrable until your course starts.
ARE PETS ALLOWED ON BASE?
- Unfortunately, animal companions are not allowed on campus unless they comply to the law as provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). There are local kennels in the area that we would be happy to point you towards. If you choose not to kennel your animal companion, you will be dismissed from the course and cancellation policies will apply.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER FOR BASE COURSES IN CULLOWHEE?
- For weather details for Campus courses you should check the weather for Sylva, NC!
- We like Local Yokel Weather for Sylva for the best weather results!
HOW DO I CONTINUE TO STAY CREDENTIALED/RECERTIFY AS AN EMT?
- We hold one RTP every calendar year in December. Be sure to plan ahead and register early!
- Click here to visit the National Registry’s page on recertification.
- Click here to visit our page dedicated to the EMT Refresher Training Program (RTP)
HOW DO I CONTINUE TO STAY CREDENTIALED/RECERTIFY AS A WFR?
- The recommended route is to take a WFR-Recert. Check out the course calendar for a WFR-R near you.
- For more information about recertifying, check out NOLS’ latest information on recertification policies.
CAN I RECERTIFY MY WFR FROM ANOTHER WILDERNESS MEDICINE PROVIDER THROUGH LANDMARK LEARNING AND NOLS?
- Yes, as long as the course providers’ training was at least a 70 hour program.
- Those WFR’s certified by another wilderness medicine provider must be recertified through a WFR-Recertification course. WAFA or WFA is not an option.
- WFR certifications must be through an approved wilderness medicine provider and a copy of their valid (un-expired) WFR certification card needs to be provided on the first day of their recertification course.
- Contact NOLS Wilderness Medicine for a list of approved wilderness medicine providers