Events at this location
Hybrid EMT Intensive
L4: Swiftwater Rescue
Leave No Trace
Refresher Training Program
Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician (Hybrid EMT plus WUMP)
Wilderness First Aid
Wilderness First Responder
Wilderness Medicine for the Professional Practitioner
Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals
Appalachian State University at Broadstone
Brevard Music Center
Carvins Cove Natural Reserve Cabin
Carvins Cove Reservoir
Coler Mountain Bike Preserve
Cullowhee Recreation Center
Emory & Henry College
Fall Creek Falls State Park
Garden City Recreation Center
Jacksonville State University
Knoxville Adventure Center
Landmark Learning - Downstream Campus
Landmark Learning - Upstream Campus
Lutheridge Conference Center
Mount Sequoyah Center
North Greenville University
North Greenville University - Hayes Ministry Center
Southwest Virginia 4H Center
Southwestern VA 4-H Center
The Outdoor Learning Center at Camp Horizons
Trail Blazer Survival School
University of Miami - Lakeside Village
University of South Florida's Riverfront Park
USF Riverfront Park
Watauga High School
Western Kentucky University
Southwest Virginia 4-H Educational Center: 25236 Hillman Highway, Abingdon VA 24210 Conveniently located only 3 miles from two I-81 Highway exits, as well as 3 miles from
Southwest Virginia 4-H Educational Center: 25236 Hillman Highway, Abingdon VA 24210
Conveniently located only 3 miles from two I-81 Highway exits, as well as 3 miles from downtown Abingdon and nearby grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants offering curbside pick-up and takeaway, and all other necessary conveniences.
Students can spend time outside of class exploring the ample outdoor recreation opportunities that surround the area, including hiking, camping, mountain biking, and kayaking. The Virginia Creeper Trail, a 35-mile rail-to-trail starts in Abingdon. “Trail Town, USA” (Damascus, VA) is only 20 minutes away, where The Virginia Creeper Trail intersects with the Appalachian Trail. Mount Rogers National Recreation Area, Grayson Highlands State Park, and Hungry Mother State Park are just a few places close by to explore.
Registration contact: (276) 676-6180; email@example.com
Logistics/pre-event contact: Jeanette Reynolds, (314) 536-0111; firstname.lastname@example.org
Onsite/day-of contact: Chris Mann, (276) 698-6342; email@example.com
Registration information webpage: http://www.swva4hcenter.org/nols-training-overview
- Online registration will be available through our website, we will also have forms available for download for anyone who would like to mail in materials and payment.
- Lodging will be available as an add on for a discounted rate:
- Ample nearby, off-site accommodation options exist.
- Airport shuttle from TRI available for $30 round trip.
- Lodging is available as an add on for a discounted rate for registered students.
- $50/night per person: Private room with private bathroom, includes linens & towels. Standard room has 3 twin beds; limited number of double + twin rooms available. Guests will be assigned 1 person to a room, unless two (or more) students are attending from the same household.
- Guests enjoy comfortable but basic private rooms at the Dickinson Conference Center. Rooms are equipped with adjustable air-conditioning and heat, as well as private bathrooms. Did we mention clean??? It has everything you need for a relaxing retreat! A guest wifi network is available. There are no televisions or radios/clocks in the rooms.
- For those seeking group housing, hostel-style bunk rooms or cabins are available. Please call for availability and pricing.
- Meals not included but snacks will be provided. A kitchen with refrigerator, sink and microwave will be accessible by all students in Ratliff Hall.
Required 4-H Center forms: http://www.swva4hcenter.org/forms
- Russell Pavilion is a 150+ person capacity covered outdoor space with lights and access to electricity.
- Running water and restrooms are accessed in an adjacent building, Ratliff Hall (250 capacity), which is the indoor location for classes where there is wifi access, and where a projector and TV/DVD can be set up.
- There is parking adjacent to both spaces, and both classroom spaces are approximately 100 yards from the accommodation options at Dickenson Conference Center.
- There is easy access to ample shaded and sunny outdoor spaces for scenarios.
- The 4-H Center is transitioning toward being a tobacco-free campus by the end of 2021. Smoking is currently prohibited inside all buildings, in all public areas, and is also prohibited within 25 feet of all buildings. Vaping is also prohibited inside all buildings, in all public areas, and is also prohibited within 25 feet of all buildings. A $250 cleaning fee will be assessed for smoking or vaping inside of any building, and guests will be fined $25 for improperly disposed cigarette butts.
- Firearms are allowed only in conjunction with an approved program.
- Guests agree to follow the latest guidelines published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the State of Virginia, and the local Department of Health. Including but not limited to: Mask wearing, hand washing, physical distancing, cleaning frequency and disinfecting, and symptom monitoring.
- Southwest Virginia 4-H Educational Center and Virginia Cooperative Extension programs and employment are open to all, regardless of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Issued in furtherance of Cooperative Extension work, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia State University, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture cooperating. Edwin J. Jones, Director, Virginia Cooperative Extension, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg; M. Ray McKinnie, Administrator, 1890 Extension Program, Virginia State University, Petersburg.
Cancellation: If you cancel or leave your training early for any reason we will retain the non-refundable deposit or the following percentage of tuition, whichever is greater:
- To receive a full refund, students may cancel their enrollment at least 21 days in advance of the program start date.
- Between 21 and 6 days prior to the course start date, the Southwest Virginia 4-H Educational Center will retain 50% (fifty percent) of the course tuition.
- Less than 5 days prior to the course start date or after the course has begun, there will be no refunds.
We’ll notify students on a case by case basis if anything changes with a program for which they’ve registered. If Southwest Virginia 4-H Educational Center must cancel this training for unforseen circumstances, all registrants will receive a full refund.